Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Review: Thunder Run

Full title: Thunder Run - The Armored Strike to Capture Baghdad
Author: David Zucchino
Publisher: Atlantic Monthly Press
Total Pages: 352

Sometimes choosing a good book really is as easy as making a decision based on a catchy title. The title of this work is what first drew my attention to David Zucchino's work chronicling the mechanized drive of U.S. troops into the heart of Baghdad as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom. I can safely say that there is more to this book than just an attention-getting title.

Throughout this book, Zucchino does an excellent job of both detailing the events of the operation while mixing in enough personal information about the participants to create an emotional attachment with the reader. Enough characters are introduced to give the reader many different views of what is happening, but not so many as to create confusion as to who's who. Tension builds throughout, as the U.S. tanks make their way into Baghdad, continuing toward their ultimate goal of capturing the palace complex.

This was a book that, once I started, I hated to have to put down for any reason. I was enthralled from the first paragraph and felt compelled to constantly continue reading to see what would happen next, hoping that the American soldiers would make it safely through their mission. Zucchino provides plenty of description and continually keeps the tension high. Maps are located at the front of the book, providing easy access and helping provide an overview of the operation's path. However, at least in the copy I have, no pictures are included.

The story is told largely from the American point of view, but does include some accounts from Iraqi citizens, as well. It is a book about a military action (I promise not all books I review here will be) and, as such, there are some graphic descriptions as to the injuries inflicted upon the combatants on both sides, along with some adult language. However, nothing that I would consider gratuitous.

Bottom line:
Would I read it again? Yes
Would I recommend this book to someone else? Yes




No comments:

Post a Comment